Exploding Kittens is a game of Russian Roulette; you draw cards until you draw an Exploding Kitten, at which point you explode and lose, unless you have a “defuse” card in your hand. As the stack of cards decreases, the likelihood of the next card being an Exploding Kitten increases!
One of our favourite games to carry with you for a visit to the pub, or going on holiday – we took ours on a narrowboat holiday in 2015 and also played it at games days in the local library. Exploding Kittens is a game of Russian Roulette; you draw cards until you draw an Exploding Kitten, at which point you explode and lose, unless you have a “defuse” card in your hand. A player may play as many or as few (even zero) cards as they choose during their turn, but must end their turn by drawing a card (unless they are playing a card that says they don’t need to draw a card). Of course, as the game goes on and the stack of cards decreases, the likelihood of the next card being an Exploding Kitten increases.
The card types are as follows:
- Exploding Kitten: a player loses when they draw this card, unless they have a Defuse card in which case the Defuse is discarded and the Exploding Kitten placed back into the deck.
- Defuse: allows the player to continue playing after drawing an Exploding Kitten.
- Skip: the player ends their turn without drawing a card.
- Attack: the player ends their turn(s) without drawing a card and the next player takes two turns.
- See the Future: the player views the top three cards of the deck.
- Shuffle: the player shuffles the deck.
- Favor: another player must give the player a card from their hand.
- Nope: stops the action of another player. Cannot be used on Exploding Kittens or Defuse cards.
- Cards without instructions must be played in matched pairs, and allow the player to take a random card from another player’s hand.
Last player standing is the winner. Age 7+, allow 15 minutes to play. For 2-5 players.
- Original all-ages family-friendly game (not the NSFW version)
- Includes 56 cards (2.5 x 3.5 inches), box, and instructions.
- Can be played by itself or combined with other decks to accommodate more players
- Meow box (box meows when opened) and non-meow box versions available
This store supported the Kickstarter campaign for this game. A great game to take down the pub with a few friends.
Exploding Kittens LLC
Meow box, Standard box