One of our favourite games to carry with you for a visit to the pub, or going on holiday – we took ours on a narrowboat holiday in 2015 and also played it at games days in the local library. Exploding Kittens is a game of Russian Roulette; you draw cards until you draw an Exploding Kitten, at which point you explode and lose, unless you have a “defuse” card in your hand. A player may play as many or as few (even zero) cards as they choose during their turn, but must end their turn by drawing a card (unless they are playing a card that says they don’t need to draw a card). Of course, as the game goes on and the stack of cards decreases, the likelihood of the next card being an Exploding Kitten increases.
The card types are as follows:
- Exploding Kitten: a player loses when they draw this card, unless they have a Defuse card in which case the Defuse is discarded and the Exploding Kitten placed back into the deck.
- Defuse: allows the player to continue playing after drawing an Exploding Kitten.
- Skip: the player ends their turn without drawing a card.
- Attack: the player ends their turn(s) without drawing a card and the next player takes two turns.
- See the Future: the player views the top three cards of the deck.
- Shuffle: the player shuffles the deck.
- Favor: another player must give the player a card from their hand.
- Nope: stops the action of another player. Cannot be used on Exploding Kittens or Defuse cards.
- Cards without instructions must be played in matched pairs, and allow the player to take a random card from another player’s hand.
Last player standing is the winner. Age 7+, allow 15 minutes to play. For 2-5 players.
- Original all-ages family-friendly game (not the NSFW version)
- Includes 56 cards (2.5 x 3.5 inches), box, and instructions.
- Can be played by itself or combined with other decks to accommodate more players
- Meow box (box meows when opened) and non-meow box versions available
This store supported the Kickstarter campaign for this game. A great game to take down the pub with a few friends.